Employment is something we rely on. Having a career means you can bring money to the table and support your family with food, medical bills, entertainment, and other essentials, many of which are crucial to survival. Most people have to start out at the bottom and then slowly work their way up – many people do not even reach their career goals by the time they need to retire.
This is an unfortunate fact since the economy continuously demands more-and-more money. No longer is it possible to get through the month with just a few hundred dollars in the bank. Renting a simple apartment with only the most crucial amenities can already cost over $1,000 in most cities.
With this in mind, there is a need for advancing in your career as fast as possible, but also efficiently.
Another fact that comes into play here is that there are millions of people who go through their day-to-day lives working at a company they hate, doing a job that they despise. This is unfortunate – as the saying goes, if you find your job to be fun and exciting, it won’t even feel like you are working.
Today, we are going to talk about career coaching. We’ll look at what this type of service is, how it can benefit you, what you should expect, and ultimately consider why you should consider opting for a professional who can provide such a service to you.
Whether you are currently feeling stuck in your career, or you desperately need a raise, professional coaching services can often help you find more clarity in what’s next for your professional life, where you need to go, and what you need to do to reach your career goals.
Why Career Coaching Should Be At The Top Of Your List
Career coaching is a service, rather than a product, provided by a professional who is experienced in a variety of fields that will ultimately help you land the job of your dreams, start a new career, or move up in the company that you are already working at.
There is a number of reasons why people are opting for professional coaching in order to help them out with the goals that they have set for themselves in terms of their career. If you find yourself in such a situation, then it might be time to start looking at a few career coaches that can help you out.
Some possible scenarios where a career coach may become a very useful option to opt for include:
- At times when you feel that you are stuck in your career or the current position, you find yourself in. This happens to a lot of people. Perhaps you are a store assistant at a local supermarket in your area, and you feel like you are going nowhere. You have no idea what to do in order to become more successful, and no matter how hard you try to impress the manager, you do not make any type of progress in terms of the position that you are in.
- When you have sent out multiple resumes to various companies because you are looking for a new job, yet no one replies to your resume. This is another common problem, and the issue here does not necessarily lie with what you have on your resume, but rather with how you present your experience, qualifications, and what you can bring to the company you are applying at.
- If you are planning to make a complete change in your career, such as when you would like to move from one industry or specialty job to a completely different type of job. For example, you might want to move away from being in the administrative department to another sector like web design or perhaps project management. In these cases, you need skills, expertise, experience, and many other elements to support your resume and your reason for wanting to make a career change.
These are only a few of the reasons why people are opting for a professional coach and why you might want to consider doing the same.
It should be noted that a career coach can sometimes also be very handy in cases where you find yourself having difficulty interacting with other people to network. Since networking plays such an important part in the process of landing better jobs, if you “suck” at networking, then you might be losing out on many opportunities.
If you find yourself feeling paralyzed when you go for an interview, then a career coach may also be of use. Landing an interview with a company is only the first step in scoring that job – what you do in the interview and how you prepare has a major impact on whether or not you’ll end up getting the job, or if the employer would rather award the job to the next candidate.
Services Provided By A Professional Coach
Professional coaches tend to vary in the specific services that they will be able to offer a client. Some of these professionals are also more specialized than others. What this means is that a number of coaches that you’ll find will be able to assist you regardless of what you are trying to accomplish with your career. Others, on the other hand, will rather be able to provide assistance with specific areas – such as when you are trying to adopt an entirely new career, or when you are not sure why your resumes are so unsuccessful. There are also some of these coaches that specialize in specific industries and careers.
Even though the specifics may defer from one coach to another, there are a couple of things that a professional career coach would be able to offer in most cases, regardless of their specialties.
One of the very first services that professional coaches tend to offer their clients is an assessment and review, which usually happens during the initial consultation with the coach.
During this consultation, the coach will ask you a large number of questions to help them understand your current situation, as well as where you want to be. Any information that you provide the coach will be helpful to them – remember that you are strangers to each other during the consultation and the coach needs to get to know you before they will be able to help you with your career.
The following is an overview of some services you can expect to obtain when you decide to hire a professional coach or a company that specializes in career coaching services:
- Resume Review: A coach can take a thorough look at the resume that you have been sending out and point out any particular problems that might be causing employers to trash your resume and move on to the next candidate. The coach will also be able to provide you with guidance on setting up a more professional resume that will provide you with better results.
- Job Search Strategies: A coach is also able to provide you with guidance on the best ways to go about searching for jobs. A lot of people looking for a new job or a change of career will post their resume on a job site and perhaps send their resume to a few companies without any specific strategy in place. By developing an appropriate strategy, the chances of landing that new job is greatly improved.
- Cover Letter Review: Along with a resume, a cover letter also plays an important role. This letter tells the employer who you are, what you are looking for, where you are now, and where you want to go. The cover letter also gives the employer an objective view of what you can bring to their company and why they should consider hiring you. A coach will be able to take a look at your existing cover letter and provide you with guidance on how to write a cover letter that will attract a better response from the employer.
- Interview Coaching: An interview is a crucial part of the hiring process for most employers, but there are many people who freeze up in these interviews. Interview coaching helps you be better prepared when you get to the interview, reduces your stress and anxiety during the interview, and ensures you know what answers to provide for any type of question that the employer may ask you.
In addition to all of these useful services, a coach will also be able to provide you with career guidance. What this means is the coach will be able to help you get a better picture of where you are and where you want to be – they will help you set more specific goals and then give you an overview of what needs to be done for you to get from point A (current situation) to point B (your career goal).
Finding The Right Coach To Help You Advance As A Professional
Now that you know why a professional coach can be an asset to your career, and you understand the types of services that you can obtain when you approach such a person, we want to take a quick look at strategies that can be used to ensure you find the right professional to provide you with appropriate career coaching services.
When you first start to do some research on professional coaches, you’ll notice that there are many. This might seem like a good thing at first since there are multiple coaches that you can choose from, but it can also complicate things. One major problem is that there are some people who are not sure what career they want to follow themselves, and then end up becoming a professional coach to help others – yet, they do not have the expertise that is needed to ensure the services you pay for will yield effective results.
A career coach should essentially put you first. They should be straight-up honest with you, but still have compassion and understand your situation.
A good idea would be to take advantage of career coaching services that are offered by an established firm – this way, you can be sure that a professional with appropriate experience and skills will be appointed to your case. Be sure to do some background research on the firm first, however, to ensure that they have helped other people advance in their career and have been providing professional services to past clients.
When you do decide to approach a private coach to assist in helping you with the issues you have with your professional life, then it is important to do proper research on that person first. Don’t opt for someone who seems like a ghost on the internet.
Career coaches are usually proud to share their stories with others, and they tend to develop strong networks on social media websites. Ask for a website and see how the coach represents themselves on their own website.
It would be a good idea to check out their social media profiles as well – if you can, do not only delve into their professional profiles but try to find that personal profiles as well.
Many career coaches who are good at what they do will gladly present reviews and testimonies from past clients on these pages, as well as on their website. This is what you are looking for – real people who have provided comments on the services that they were provided with by the professional coach that you are interested in getting in touch with and hiring.
Advancing in your career is important to keep up with changing time and an economy that leads to groceries and all other items simply increasing in price. There are various options that you can choose from to advance and gain an increase in your salary, get out or a runt that you might be stuck in, and to reach the goals you have set for yourself.
Professional coaching for your career is an excellent option. A Career Accelerator Course, such as the GO MAP program, is another great choice if you are on a lower budget, but would still like to enjoy the benefits of being able to set clear goals for yourself and be equipped with the skills that you need to achieve these goals, whether you are looking for an entirely new career or simply want to go up a level in your existing career.